Monday, January 21, 2013

American Idols: The Presidents in Glass


I've been watching The West Wing on Netflix. But in backward order. It's a show I've seen all the way through at least twice before. It's undoubtedly one of my favorites ever. Probably because it is so deeply rooted in an inspired part of my brain, I continue to have a growing fascination with the presidents. Fortunately, I have a friend named Kate, who is incredibly knowledgable about them. We went together to the Pittsburgh Glass Center's gallery to see American Idols, John Moran's glass busts of the presidents. Going through the gallery we studied the busts to get clues about each president through their clothes, which were chosen to reveal facts about the president's life and legacy.













This post is poorly timed. The exhibit's final day at the Glass Center is today. Seeing this exhibit was my first time inside the Glass Center, but I don't believe it will be my last. I'm hoping to take a class (or two or three) there this year.

But this post is aptly timed, because today is Inauguration Day. Four years ago, I was up before the crack of dawn to be witness to the event from the Mall. It was a whirlwind weekend that also included celebrating the Steelers AFC Championship at a packed-wall-to-wall Steelers bar in DC.


No comments:

Post a Comment