Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nice (PGH) Things That Look Good: January 2013

Oh, winter. You cold and dreary foe. The older I get, the more I hate winter. I really do not mind the cold, as long as I am moving (walking/biking) through it. But I hate snow. And I hate the fact that it gets dark early and is dark by the time I leave work. There's so much more time spent indoors due to the dark, which makes leisurely walks and long bike rides nearly impossible to accomplish until we spring forward on March 10.

If the weather report for the next week holds, today we should be experiencing temps in the mid-40s! Strange how in the fall when that happens for the first time it seems so cold. But when it happens in the winter, it feels like spring. Though the early darkness remains, it's been staying lighter a little longer each day.

Here are some colorful things I saw on a cold Sunday at the very end of 2012. Pittsburgh's bursts of color are a mood brightener in the midst of the grey skies of winter.

Owl on Butler Street.

Someone added colorful geometric wood blocks to the Roberto Clementes in Doughboy Square.



2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through a twitter PGH list and just thought I'd say hello! I'm moving to the area soon and I'm always looking for things to do. I've had fun looking through your posts. :) I'm completely obsessed with the random murals around Pittsburgh and these are awesome! I hear you on the winter thing. I'm ready for it to be over! Nice to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Pittsburgh is awesome, and there is always plenty to do and see. Especially when the weather begins to behave. Good luck with your move. :)

    ReplyDelete