Monday, March 19, 2012

Winter Camping Feels Like Spring to Me

A couple weekends ago, I went camping. I tell people this, and they scoff. “Camping?! In this weather?!” Yes. Camping. In this weather, which ended up being cool and comfortable during our hike to camp on Saturday, and then beautiful, sunny, and pure springlike getting back to the car on Sunday. Overnight it was chilly, but we were equipped with cozy sleeping bags and a fire we kept going all night. You may recall that once Carrie and I started a fire that lasted into the morning with ONE MATCH on another camping excursion. This time around we didn’t even need a match at all. The embers were still going, and we were able to stoke it into a lovely blaze. Many smores were enjoyed.

All of the things I’m happy to be doing more of since I moved back, being more active in the outdoors is very near to the top of my list. Not that these sorts of activities weren’t available to me in Boston, but I take advantage of them far more here. With the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail and the Great Allegheny Passage both fairly accessible, I’m in a nice little location where immersing myself in the woods for a couple days is totally possible. I’m routing my June bike trip to D.C. now and will continue to put sections of the LHHT behind me as the spring, summer and fall go on.

Here are some photos from the trip. You can see more on the Everything Better Pittsburgh Picasa page.








There’s something that clicks inside of me when I go camping. I get kicked into hyper-cleaning mode whenever I get home. I walked into the door of my place shortly before 6 p.m. that Sunday and scrubbed and swept and sorted. It was nice to sleep in my bed, but it was even nicer to wake up to a clean living room the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment