Friday, March 30, 2012

PGH Book #3: About Three Bricks Shy

I need to start this post by saying that I couldn't be happier with my resolution to read more. I think transitioning into a job that is 98% writing from a job that was 100% the opposite kind of killed my joy of reading over the past year and a half. Of course, the first two books in my 2012 canon were easing me into a real book that is more words than pictures. (I had to start small, otherwise I would have never made it this far.) My third book for the year was Roy Blount Jr.'s About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up. And it was a real, honest-to-goodness book. (For a book about sports, I can't recall it containing a single photograph. I'd check to be certain, but I already returned it to Corey.)

"Have you heard of these people before, Georgiana?"
"Certainly not, Serena. Nobody has heard of any one in Pittsburgh."


For those unaware, About Three Bricks Shy is about the Steelers in the '70s: the season before their first Super Bowl win. While I read it, I kept thinking about how these were the Steelers my dad watched back in the early days of his season ticket holding. I thought about that and thought about how odd it will be almost 40 years from now when I'm talking fondly about Big Ben, Bettis, everyone's favorite former disaster factory: Jeff Reed. (Though, his exit did make way for the adorable Canadian kicker. SQUEEEEEZEM!)

I enjoyed the book from start to finish, but I was so pleased with the Why Pittsburgh chapter that I read it twice. Please, do yourself a favor and read this chapter at least; it is so good!

What happened to the month of March? It feels like it was here and gone in the blink of an eye. Is that called getting older? Or just me being swept up in longer days and warmer temps? Regardless. 2012's third month is nearly history. What have I been accomplishing?

I'm a jerk. I didn't volunteer again this month. There's still a lot of year left. I'm not worried.

I am continuing to try new things! I'm struggling to recall much from March 2012, but I know I tried things. I promise. (Mental note: Start keeping track of these throughout the month as you do them; remembering them at the end never works.) The ones I can remember: Nakama (had no idea this was cook-on-the-table!), arena football game (indoor fireworks!), and went to Construction Junction. Yeah, I really need to start keeping a list.

Still pedaling away. I think about what it will feel to reach 1,000 miles next month (unless we have a crazy April snowstorm that lasts three weeks, I should pass that mark at the least) every day. As I write this, I have raised over $500! If you'd like to Pledge a Penny and support Gilda's Club of Western Pennsylvania, fill out this form.

I feel like I've got a grip on 2012 right now. April, I'm looking forward to spending some time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment