Monday, September 26, 2011

Friday Night Light (on Penn): Evolution of a Main Drag, Vol. 1

A couple Fridays ago I got home from work with time to spare before my plans for the evening started. I was feeling restless. The weather was stunning. I decided to take a quick bike ride down Penn Ave to the East Liberty main business stretch and wander about.

I parked my bike at the new Target. Unlike the Market District, Target has mastered bike racks. There are so many of them. They are not parallel to the building or a foot from the building. Good work, Target.

This mural is directly across from the Target parking garage. There are many things I love about this mural: the various building in the skyline, the people on the street, and the two random German shepherds who are just hanging out unleashed.

Actually, they look more like wolves, now that I've taken another look at this photo. From my experience, wolves are not roaming the streets of Eat Liberty. But I kinda wish they were.


What a great mural. Good work, East Liberty.

I thought this was an interesting choice for the facade of this building.

And this building I thought was just plain awesome. Oh, to have the disposable income to buy all of the beautiful abandoned buildings in and around East Liberty and Garfield and rehabilitate them to their former glory.

Facade of the Kelly-Strayhorn Theater. I've never been inside the theater, but I hope that changes soon. Below is a mosaic (I think?) that is right before the main doors into the theater.

I love the long staircase leading up to the house. How very Pittsburgh.

The East Liberty Presbyterian Church intrigues me. I wanted to go in, but time did not allow it on this trip.

Names on the ground outside of the theater.

Two huge murals on the sides of the Novum research building. When you come into East Liberty on Penn from the Bloomfield/Friendship area, this is one of the first things you notice.

Love that these boys are on bikes.


Constantly changing sign atop the Waffle Shop, one of a few Carnegie Mellon University projects scattered around this area of the neighborhood.

I believe this is the building that will be coming down in order to build a small-ish movie theater. (I say small-ish because I've read it's only going to have 5-7 screens, which I'm totally in favor of. Not having to go to the South Side or -ugh- the Waterfront to see a movie will be wonderful...one day.)

Not really sure what this is, but I couldn't help but stop and look at it for a few minutes to try and figure it out. Eventually I decided I just enjoyed that he was trying to play lacrosse with these butterflies.

A fake movie poster in the window of the MT Theater, yet another CMU art project.


Most of the businesses have murals on the gates that protect their businesses after hours. Which means that after business is done for the day, this stretch of Penn gets even more colorful.

I got back on my bike and started back toward Bloomfield, but I had to stop and take a picture of this amazing sunset. It was a beautiful night to get out of the apartment and see some things I'd forever taken note of while passing by. Along the way I got to discover a little more of this stretch of Penn Ave. I rode back up the hill and had to make myself focus on the traffic around me. The sky was just too hard to ignore, and I kept looking up taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment