Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Support PGH: Two Awesome Carnegie Library Events

In a few weeks, it will be October. My favorite month.

And this October, in addition to all the excellent Halloween things coming our way (Bloomfield Halloween Parade: I'm looking at you!!), there are two awesome events happening in support of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, one of the city's best public resources.

First is an event I found out about from the BikePGH blog. Lou Testoni is both the Chair of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Board of Trustees and a lover of cycling. To combine these two seemingly separate parts of his life, he has set out to raise $15,000 in September to benefit the library. If the money is raised, Lou will lead a 50-mile (!!!) "Cycle for CLP" ride that will visit each branch of the CLP system. Read more and find a donation link here.

The second event is one my friend Corey, who is a librarian at the main CLP location in Oakland, told me about. It's called Read to the People, and it promises to be 24 hours of nonstop reading aloud on the steps of the main building. The event is a rallying cry for the community to support the library on the November 8 ballot. This is definitely an event on my calendar that I'll be taking in. And - who knows - maybe I'll find myself on those steps reading something to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment