Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hot Metal Bras: American Eagle's Display for Breast Cancer Awareness


At the beginning of October, I was riding my bike to Big Dog Coffee to meet a friend. My normal route takes me across the Hot Metal Bridge, which - for the month of October - has been adorned with thousands of bras. October. Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Bras. Makes sense. The bras were hung by American Eagle, a company that's headquarters are at the end of the Hot Metal Bridge on the South Side. Since they've been up I've heard some varying opinions about them. Someone remarked that they had to shield their kid's eyes while going across the bridge. (Really? Come on. They are just bras.) But I like them. I like them better than when members of the Steelers have to wear hot pink shoes or sweatbands or hats. At the end of the month American Eagle is going wash and donate all of the bras. Here's a link to a WTAE story about the bras.

And, for good measure, here is a link to the Susan G. Komen Foundation in Pittsburgh. Although my mom did not have breast cancer, she did pass away while battling bladder cancer. Cancer sucks. Plain and simple. Here's hoping that some day no more moms will leave their sons and daughters way way way too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment