Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pittsburgh Thankful Vol. 4: Friends and Family

Those close to me know that 2011 wasn't the best year. In fact, as far as years go, it was probably the worst. It started off on a positive note, when I was determined to make it 20a11ison (aka, my year). But then a string of unfortunate events occurred, and there wasn't anything I could do to change things. Losing a parent this young is one of the weirdest things that has ever happened to me. I have to believe though, that when I made that very sudden decision in March or April 2010 to move back to Pittsburgh, that something was pulling me toward home. I'm so thankful that I was in close proximity to my mom during the last year of her life.

And I'm thankful for the people in my life who were by my side through the bad and the good. They picked me up on my worst days. They made me laugh, and they helped me get away when I needed. They were my saving graces through one of the hardest periods of my life.

Carrie, who was with me the moment I found out my mom passed away. She has been by my side just about every day since. Thank you, Carrie!

Corey, who is always there to listen. And who is probably my favorite Book Review partner-in-crime. Thank you, Corey!

Mike, who is my cousin and DJ partner. He is always up for crazy shenanigans, no matter how silly they may seem. Thank you, Mike!

Eric, who has been my fellow adventurer and Pittsburgh-devotee since my return. He inspires me to discover something every day. Thank you, Eric!

Rob, who is my voice of reason and travel buddy. The number of times I've wished we could go on Giant Eagle runs over the past year is many, many, many. Thank you, Rob!

Mullen, who was my first visitor when I moved back and pretty much my first real friend in Boston. I miss her every day, and will never stop trying to convince her to move to PGH. Banananana, Mullen!

Lindsay, who showed up at my door with her arms full of all the best groceries when comfort food was exactly what I needed. She made me laugh when all I wanted to do was cry. Thank you, Lindsay!

Marlana, who basically been my therapist and sounding board for longer than I can remember. She has never turned me away when I've needed someone to lean on - even when she was busy with packing and the logistics of a move from Boston to Australia. THANK YOU, MARLANA.

And the biggest thanks of all goes to my dad, who has been unbelievably strong in the face of tragedy. I feel closer to him now, and I look forward to doing more things together now that I am here.

I am home. And for that, I am thankful.

4 comments: