Monday, October 1, 2012

30 Before 30: Iceball from Gus and Yiayia's


Corey and I were on the North Side to check out the Mini Maker Faire at the Children's Museum a couple Saturdays ago. It was such a lovely afternoon that we decided to take a walk around the park and the War Streets (more on that later!), and in doing so, I recognized an opportunity to knock another 30 Before 30 Item off the list: an iceball from Gus and Yiayia's.


Gus and Yiayia's is a Pittsburgh institution, and I'm ashamed that I have never enjoyed an iceball from these fine folks before. Considering my first job was the Sno-Kone girl at Mineral Beach in Finleyville (yeah, I know.), I felt a certain kinship with Gus, who prepared my cherry-lemon iceball (the perfect combination, after several summers schlepping these I have learned).


With summer officially behind us (yay, fall, yay!), I never thought I'd be crossing the iceball off the 30 Before 30 list this soon. I figured it would be a "down to the wire" item (which, I'm positive will be happening plenty come May 2013), but it's said and done - and it was delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment