Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Adventuring the Slopes: StepTrek 2012


Last year, on an extremely hot October afternoon (for real - it was like 85 degrees), I walked up and down what seemed like a billion steps scattered throughout the South Side Slopes. I must be a glutton for punishment, because I enjoyed it so much that I did it again. This time, I took my buddy Ross along. It was the first of a day/evening/ night full of things that Ross and I set out to do. More on some of those another post. Tonight, we focus on steps. Lots. Of. Steps. The South Side Slopes isn't exactly a place where I'm likely to be found. It's prohibitive for someone whose main mode of transport is a bike. There also doesn't seem to be a plethora of entertainment up there either. But, it's really fun to explore, because it's full of outstanding views, tucked away spaces, and a stray cat or two. The StepTrek happens every October. The money raised from registration goes towards keeping the steps in working order. These aren't just fun, they're necessary!


Getting ready for Halloween. We are so, so close.

Not sure if this is still in operation, but the Kollar Club was a Slovakian club, and many immigrants from Slovakia in Pittsburgh came here to learn their first words of English. 

A typical street in the Slopes might end with a staircase.

Going up!

What do we have here!

This adorable little guy. Would have made a good addition to my mini-collection of black cats. But he looked pretty well kept, so he'll stay up there on the Slopes.

A witch, a view of the Cathedral.

I can't help but love every view of this good-looking city. We kind of rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment