Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pedal for Pennies: 3000 Miles and Counting


3000 miles.

That's like biking from Pittsburgh to Vancouver - taking the scenic route.

I didn't have a particularly great day yesterday. Nothing particular was wrong. But nothing particular was right. Just a really off day. I counted down the hours and then the minutes until I could change my clothes and get on my bike. At this point in the year, I have to assume that every really nice day might be the last really nice day for a bike ride. The evenings are already getting shorter, which means rides can't be quite as long. But even a short ride - just shy of 14 miles - helped me drag myself out of the funk I'd been in all day Friday. I woke up this morning and the sun was shining. But the forecast called for rain. I chanced it to get in a ride first thing, and ended up logging another 20 miles before the rain hit. I'm going to try my hardest to get to 4000 miles before the year's end.

That's all to say that biking has become a vital part of my life. It gets me to and from work. It gets me to and from the grocery store, friends houses, and all around town. It helps me calm down after a bad day. It's gotten me into what is likely the best shape of my life. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I look forward to my ride into the city every morning. I look forward to biking in Sydney, Australia, next month. I look forward to the bike adventure through Europe that Rob and I are planning for my birthday next year. Even though I've only had my bike since 2010, it's become like an extension of me.

By reaching 3000 miles, I met my milage goal for Pedal for Pennies. Now that the donation page is up, I'm working toward meeting my fundraising goal for Gilda's Club of Western Pennsylvania. 

No comments:

Post a Comment