Wednesday, July 11, 2012

30 Before 30: Whitewater Rafting on the Fourth of July

The older I'm getting, the more outdoorsy I'm becoming. Five years ago, I would have never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be capable of spending an entire week biking and camping - alone at that. But now, I love being outside and pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. I'm getting less afraid of things like snakes and spiders (but still would really rather not deal with those at all) and learning how to be patient, calm, and appreciative of the natural world. That sounds only slightly crazy. Blame the heat that seems will never break.

My friend Brian offered Corey, Carrie and me an amazing opportunity for the Fourth of July: whitewater rafting at Ohiopyle on a raft led by his brother and would only cost us $15 each.

It was the perfect way to spend the mid-week holiday. It was hot, but not oppressive. The water was cold, but not frigid. We took our time going down the river and tossed about in the rapids. For three miles we went through The Doldrums and drank beverages and jumped into the water and floated downstream. We brought the raft ashore at Jump Rock and, well, jumped off a rock. It was so beautiful out there that I wondered how crazy it woud be if I dropped everything for the rest of the summer and spent the remainder of it right there on the river.

Sadly, there are no pictures from the actual rafting portion of the trip. But here are a few shots from the day.

This is a picture I took while on my bike trip to Cumberland in 2011. Those are some of the rapids we went over.

Keeping ourselves entertained while Brian's brother sorted out our raft and such.

Just some bears, reading a book.

Laz-Z-Boy swing.
Rafting was an incredible way to spend the Fourth of July. It was also officially the first one of my 30 Before 30 items that I can cross off the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment